The Land of NaNoWriMo

Hi All!  My name is Amy, but I am known in the land of NanoWriMo as Ismenia.  This is my 10th year of doing Nano, plus I did my first Camp this summer.  I have won every single time, which I am quite proud of. 

I started doing Nano because of my dear friend, Nicole Amsler.  Some of you might know her.  She lived in the Dayton Area up until about 3 years ago, and did quite a few Write-Ins with the Dayton crowd.  She talked me into doing it on Nov. 4th, so I was behind on my word count from the very beginning!  It was probably the hardest and most rewarding thing I had ever done.  Before I knew it, it was ten years later.  

I have always been the creative sort.  I was an art therapy major in college.  I never considered myself a writer, but liked to dabble in poetry and short stories.  I see writing as a way of painting with words, which is far less expensive than buying art supplies.  I write primarily fantasy/sci-fi romance.  It all depends on my mood in the particular year.  I am big Doctor Who fan, so last year I did my first fan fiction without one ounce of romance.  It was a nice change actually.  This year I am back to romance, but we will see what actually happens once Nov. 1st rolls around.  I might change my mind.  I am a gamer and a cosplayer, so basically I love escaping to lands of make-believe.  Makes writing perfect for me!  

I love creating worlds and characters.  Being an artist, I am a very visual person.  Prior to Nano starting, I have a vague notion of what I am going to write about.  (I am not a big plotter.)  I search the Web and Pinterest for pictures of characters and settings that inspire me.  That way during the month if I get stuck, I go look at my pictures for inspiration. 

When I have trouble getting my word count, I resort to the website www.writtenkitten.co.  When you hit your word goal, adorable cat pictures flash on the screen. 

Since I am a busy Mom of two teenage girls, I don’t go to many Write-Ins.  I write whenever I get a quick moment between running them here and there to all of their activities.  I might try this year, but you will see me around the Facebook page now and again.  Good luck to everyone!!  Have a great Nano this year!


Comments

  1. Thank you, Amy, for sharing your Nano. Sometimes it's hard to create our art because life happens but we fit it in when we can. We are better for it because it brings us joy. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely family. That's a darling photo.

    It's amazing how time flies, isn't it? Five years seemed like ages during my teens. Now I have spices older than that!

    Happy writing, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Darla! Time does fly. When I first started Nano, my oldest daughter was 5 years old! That is hard to imagine. Back then I was writing during nap time. Now, I long to take a nap myself!

    Happy Writing to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sci-Fi + Hot Air Balloons = Steampunk

The Adventures of an Author Errant…

The Awesome-ist Trip You’ll Ever Take (because making up words is okay during NaNo)