Young People... That's me!


I went to Panera this week to meet with a few other writers. I sat with my netbook open and my current WIP on screen in Scrivner. We happened to be talking over a characterization problem when a blond woman plopped her mammoth laptop on the table next to me.

She was slender with long hair. Her eyes had mild crows feet but, by no means, was she old. As I studied her face, I wondered how I knew her.

She smiled as she said, "This won't work. Can you get it to connect?"

Okay. I'm not a computer genius but connecting to Wi-Fi I can do. Sometimes the Panera Wi-Fi is stubborn. She has the Yahoo homepage open and Scott Trade in the search bar but it's not searching. I check her Wi-Fi icon for connectivity (makes me sound tech savvy-huh?) The internet access icon had a ! next to it. Who knows why the connection was wonky but I disconnected and reconnected.

I asked the lady if I could open a new internet window and the Yahoo homepage popped up again. She became excited. "Oh! Put in Scott Trade."

Voila! I did it.

I really didn't do a thing. The slow router probably caught up with the number of patrons using it.

Needless to say, she was awed by my computer skills (*coughs*).

"Oh, thanks. Hi, I'm Beth." She sticks out a hand and shakes mine. "When this stuff happens, I always look for young people (I'm stunned speechless). They always know what to do."

I started laughing. She thought I was young. While it's true people guess my age in the lower thirties, I'm really in the mid-forties. And this woman couldn't have been more than five years older than me. I had a good laugh. I'm so glad I'm considered one of those "young people".

Comments

  1. You are gorgeous, my dear. Sorry I've been absent. Family drama has been a drain. I decided to not try and do camp (obviously) but am taking on the A to Z blog challenge. It's a lot easier since you can post ahead of time. ~grin~ I will try to get back into the swing and hang out with you darling youngster, you. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sci-Fi + Hot Air Balloons = Steampunk

The Adventures of an Author Errant…

NaNoWriMo Tips from the Muse